Wednesday, May 8, 2013

My inspiration....

I have wanted to write for years now but I always struggled with what the message would be. I didn't want it to be just me ranting about events in my life. I wanted what I wrote to have a purpose. Something to learn from it and maybe if you read what happened to me, you might not have to go through it yourself.

I opened a book by my bedside by Dalai Lama for inspiration. I told myself that the first page I opened to would be the message for me to base the stories on. The first one I opened to is.....

If you are a teacher, try not to merely transmit knowledge, but try at the same time to awaken your students' minds to basic human qualities such as kindness, compassion, forgiveness and understanding. Do not communicate these as though they were the reserve of ethics or religion. Show them that these qualities are indispensable for the happiness and survival of everyone. 

Then I thought to myself wow, that was really good what if I try another......

One family influences another, and then another, then ten, a hundred, and a thousand, and thus the whole of society will be better off. 



I bet I would like most of what Dalai Lama has to say, so to keep it simple I decided to use three of the quotes to base the writing of my life stories on.....

It is important to examine our suffering, to find out where it has come from and if possible to cause it to dissolve. Usually, we do not think we have any share of responsibility in bringing about our own problems. Invariably, they are blamed on someone or something else. But I doubt that this is always the case. We are a bit like students who have failed an exam and who refuse to admit that if they had worked harder they would have been able to pass it. We get angry at so-and -so or proclaim that circumstances conspired against us. But don't things become even worse when this mental suffering is added to the initial difficulty?

Out of 365 different quotes by Mr. Lama, these three were chosen at random. The first three I came to as I opened the book. I think you will see them as very appropriate for the writings.




No comments:

Post a Comment